This Tu Lan Cave Expedition 4 days takes you into remote areas of this unique caving region, home to the most spectacular jungle and caves of Vietnam! You will also learn some caving techniques, and see how to set up jungle camps. Cave photography is an option and the guides will be able to assist you producing top quality images in the caves.
- The mini-expedition 4-day in the remote cave - Hang Tien Cave
- Adventure and exciting activities : trekking, climbing, swimming, camping
- Sightseeing the amazing beauty of Tu Lan Cave system including Hang Ken, Hang Kim, Hung Ton Wet Cave, La Ken valley...
- Light PVC backpack
- Camping gear: hammock/tent, camp light, sleeping bag
- Caving expert from the British Cave Research Association
- Porter team to carry all camping gear and prepare all meals
- Dry bag (for clothing and personal belongings excl. electronics)
- Meals: picnic lunches, breakfast (day 2, 3 & 4), dinner (day 1, 2 & 3)
- Professional English-speaking tour guide and guide safety assistant
- Caving & safety gear: caving helmet, caving headlight, life jacket, gloves
- Basic canvas trekking boots (only if you do not have your own pair) sizes 38 – 46
- Basic camping facilities with eco-friendly compost toilet using western toilet seat
- First Aid Kit and Medical Rescue Equipment (application by guides and porters only
- Shared dry box for phones and small cameras (limited availability for larger cameras)
- Katadyn (Swiss-made) water purifier (used only by guide and porters) and water bottle
- Secure Storage Facility at Oxalis Headquarters to store all luggage you will not be taking on the trek.
What's Not Included
- 1 medium size towel
- 1 pair of flip flops (sandals) for campsite
- 3-4 pairs of calf length close weave socks (not ankle socks!)
- 2 pair of shorts and t-shirts to wear at campsite and swim suit
- 1 pair of trekking boots/shoes (if you prefer your own comfortable pair)
- Personal items: mosquito repellent, sunglasses, hat, camera, underwear, toiletries
- 2 long (easy to dry) pants and 2 long sleeved shirt to wear during the trek (quick dry)
Price per person joining group tour, Available Thursday and Sunday only.
Price for Private tour
The expedition takes off with a pickup from Chay Lap Farmstay at 8:00 am and a transfer to Tan Hoa village. You’ll do a final check on gear and equipment at Tu Lan office prior to trekking. At 10:00 am, the trek gets underway with a hike across peanut and buffalo fields (2.5 km) to the Rao Nan River.
After crossing the river, the group will go through the first cave of this expedition called Secret Cave at 11 am. The journey within Secret Cave then proceeds forward with a trek to Hung Ton Cave entrance. The journey within Secret Cave and the following trek to Hung Ton will take from about 11:30 am – 12:00 pm. At the entrance of Hung Ton you will take a break and enjoy lunch until about 1:00 pm.
From Hung Ton, trek through the jungle to Tu Lan Campsite. At camp, you’ll get settled and have time to enjoy a cup of tea or coffee before swimming into Ken Cave to the photo viewpoint where a famous picture of this cave was taken. There will be more time for swimming afterwards at the small waterfall by camp, while our porter team prepares a delicious dinner.
Breakfast starts this adventurous day around 8:00 am. Then, the expedition group will see the namesake of the tour, Tu Lan Cave. Visit Tu Lan Dry Cave and abseil down (10 m) into the river passage of Tu Lan Wet Cave with the support of our guide team. You will either swim or boat out of the cave (exit mode depends on season/weather).
Hang Kim is next, and you’ll enter via the dry entrance, follow the dry passage to the underground river, and swim through the cave to exit into picturesque To Mo Valley. We will have lunch here from about 1:00 – 2:00 pm. Then, we will swim into Ton Cave, explore the dry passage and climb up the ladder to exit the cave.
It takes a further 2.5 hours to trek to La Ken Valley and then you’ll reach the Hung Dung Campsite (around 5:30 pm) where everyone can enjoy swimming in the natural pools. In cooler weather, you can spend this extra time taking photos of the waterfall and drinking more cups of coffee or tea. Enjoy a fulfilling dinner at around 6:00 pm.
At 8:00 am, the day starts with breakfast ready when you wake up. Around 9:00 am, trek over the hill and through Hang Doi, known as Short Cave or sometimes Bat Cave. This will include a very short swim. When you exit the cave, you’ll see a beautiful waterfall and have time to stop and take some photos.
At 11:00 am, cross Hung Nhai Valley to the bottom of the hill. Lunch will take place from 12:00 – 1:00 pm near the river. The next few hours will be spent trekking up and over the hill into Tien Valley. After the hill, it’s about 30 more minutes to campsite which will be reached around 5:30 pm. Enjoy swimming in the gorgeous natural lagoon and soak up the surrounding beauty. Capture some excellent photos before getting distracted with a delicious dinner under the stars.
Have a big breakfast to gear up for this big, final day of the trek. Hike to the largest cave in Tu Lan Cave System, Hang Tien. Known as Fairy Cave, Hang Tien has two sections and you will explore both from about 9:30 am – 1:00 pm.
Hang Tien 1 lies beyond a field of boulders and the entrance is magnificent. Rimstone pools are stacked high and add to the magical feeling of this cave. Journey through Hang Tien 1 to its exit and then through Hang Tien 2 before making your way back.
Lunch will take place on the return through Hang Tien, at the exit of Hang Tien 1. Then the group will proceed back through Hang Tien 1. Trek over the hill to the road where you’ll be picked up and returned to the office around 4:00 – 4:30 pm.
At Tan Hoa office, you will have time to take a proper shower that you have been waiting for many days, have a cold drink, collect your luggage and be transferred to Chay Lap Farmstay. Check in at the hotel around 6:30 pm, and then enjoy a gala dinner with your expedition team around 7:30 pm. The night will be spent at Chay Lap.
- Minimum 2 pax
- Available every Thursday & Sunday for group tour, any date for private tour
- Operating: from Feb to Aug (closed from Sep to Jan)
- Transfer Dong Hoi - Phong Nha +$35/way